Crochet Queen Zig Zag Blanket



This post is for those who want to have a go at making a crochet blanket like this one... and Paula xxx...

I was laid up in bed for a while and got into a serious crochet buzz. I made some blankets and Paula wanted to know how to do a zig zag / chevron one.

People have different ways of doing them....this is how I do mine.



I like to use a 3.5mm crochet hook and 8 ply / double knit yarn. This makes a dense, warm fabric. It is worked in a single crochet stitch.

For a queen bed blanket I used 32 balls of 100g weight, which cost about $80 NZ using the cheapest stuff I could find. This amount of wool will accommodate tassels too which is a nice touch.



The blanket is worked in one piece.

I worked 8 rows of each colour (1 ball) for this blanket. I didn't plan a colour scheme - I just bought colours I liked and put them together as I went along. I bought around 10 x 100 balls at a time - all different colours.

The blanket covers the foot of the queen bed to the pillow line.


I like to use a 12 stitch side for my zigzag. So up one side is 12 stitches, then there is one stitch to make the top of the zigzag (a crochet 'corner') down the other side is 12 stitches. Then there is a space to make the bottom 'V' of the zigzag.

Here are my notes to try and explain things better ....



I used 15 zigzags width. So, making starting chain - I work:

12 chain (up side) plus 1 chain for top of zigzag plus 12 chain (down side) plus 1 chain for bottom of zigzag. This is done 15 times (389 stitches). Another chain is worked as a turning chain, and the first single crochet of the 12 needed up the side.

The foundation row is horrific lol. The slowest. Your work curls around all snake-like until you've done some rows...then it behaves itself.

The blanket is worked entirely in single crochet stitch (sc)

Working a single crochet stitch (sc)

Foundation Row


 Put hook through top 2 loops for strength


 Wind yarn around hook

 Pull through 2 stitch loops


Single crochet (sc) complete


Crochet Queen Zig Zag Blanket Instructions

Materials 


3.5mm crochet hook
Approx 3200g Double knit / 8ply yarn


Making the blanket

Chain 390 

The last chain will count as the first single crochet needed for the 12 side stitches.

Start the 2nd single crochet in the 3rd stitch from hook


Foundation row: Work sc (single crochet) through top 2 loops being careful not to twist chain as you work.

Work *(12 sc, work 3 sc in next stitch, work 12 sc, miss 1 stitch) repeat.

Work 1 chain as a turning chain and the first single crochet of the 12 side stitches.

I work through the top 2 loops of every stitch to make the blanket strong.

Row 1: (Work 12 sc, work 3 sc in next stich, work 12 sc, miss 2 stitches) 14 times. Work 12 sc, work 3 sc in next stich, work 12 sc.

Work 1 chain turn

Row 2: Work the first of 12 sc into the third stitch/space from the hook

Repeat Row 2 for the rest of the blanket.

Work 32 colours, 8 rows each colour 

Weave in last colour strand


Joining Colours

Again, people have different ways - for this I cut off approx an inch and a half of the old colour and double knot the new colour laying the previous colour along the working stitches and crochet over it to 'weave' it in.

 Cut off previous colour


Pull through new colour, this is the turning chain plus the first single crochet needed for the side


 Double knot colours


 Lay loose threads across the top of the row to 'weave' in ends



As you work, you will see 'steps' at the sides of the blanket. Don't worry about it. Carry on.
Tassels will go here and even out the look.

You will notice a ripple in the blanket. This is normal.

Weave in your last strand of colour.


Tassels

Decide how long you want your tassels. Cut three lengths per tassel. Fold in half and tie as shown.
I found my phone case an ideal size for the sample. You could cut a piece of cardboard to use as a template.


I used 3 strands of yarn wound around my phone case for each tassel

I used 12 wind arounds of yarn to make 4 tassels at a time

 Cut yarn in half

I used 3 strands of yarn for each tassel


Holding ends of yarn together, place hook where your tassel is to be


Pull the middle of the yarn pieces through



 Fold over yarn pieces


 Insert yarn pieces through loop



Pull yarn pieces to lock tassel

I used same colours as rows for tassels on every second  row.

Stitch Sample and Tassels

Sooo...I hope everything is a little clearer than mud.

It is easier than it might look...have fun working out your colour scheme... have a go... and happy crocheting! xxx...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lined Vintage Paper with Illustration